12.11.2008

Ornamental...


Each year I have to buy a new ornament. I just love ornaments! A year before our first Christmas I went out to the after Christmas sales and got some basic Christmas decor. This was a suggestion from my sister, because she said she didn't have anything for their first Christmas and it was quite expensive to purchase everything. So I just bought the basics: lights, stockings, tree skirt, tree topper, ribbon, and red, green, and silver balls. Over the past 2 years I have bought 2-3 ornaments throughout the season, so now our tree is an eclectic blend of ornaments. For this year, I bought our ornaments while on our anniversary trip; two snowflakes and a silver plated 'Merry Christmas' sign. I just love that some of the ornaments have a story behind them. I am one of the only sappy people who do this, or do you have ornaments that have 'stories'? (Just last year, we told our mom that she didn't have to put the ornaments that we made in grade school on her tree anymore; they can stay in the keep-sake box).













courtesy: Martha

6 comments:

paula said...

too funny. every year i buy the kiddos a new ornament that represents something that they love for that year. This year it is a plane and helicopter. they became obsessed after seeing daddy on a plane for work.

Pink Wallpaper said...

we do the same thing and the ornaments mean so much more that way!

monarte said...

I can show you how to make the Origami
Christmas balls in the bottom left picture,,,
I made them every year with my Art students. Whats neat is you make them from your old Christmas cards, so you have double memories, of making the ornaments, and of the people that send you Christmas Cheer each year.

Suzann said...

Almost ALL my ornaments have stories. In fact, the button ornament in your first picture is what one of my ornaments is supposed to look like. My eldest son and his best friend Amy made ornaments when they were 4. His is made with pipe cleaners and buttons and a piece of ribbon and scotch tape (as a decoration, not an adhesive). He is 18 now and dies every year when I bring it out and hang it on the tree, but I just adore it.

Casey said...

I just discovered your fabulous blog and love it! I'm going to be here all night checking our you shop loves!! :) Ok....I love the green button ornament. Did you make this youself or buy it. I love buying special ornaments to add to my tree each year and this one would be a wonderful addition to my collection. Thank you for sharing all your ideas for those of us that need a bit of inspiration.

LindsB said...

I love that, idea! It is not sappy at all. That button ornament is so cute that you posted here, maybe I'll trying making one for my tree...thanks for the ideas!!