10.02.2008

Up the Value...


This month in Domino Mag's 'renovator's notebook' they highlighted "10 fast fixes that add value to your home". The most inexpensive tips for upgrading looks, efficiency, and sell-ability.

1. Paint, paint, paint
2. Put in new appliances
3. Update light fixtures
4. Gut the bathroom
5. Reroof
6. Improve systems
7. Lay down new floors
8. Restain the deck
9. Get new doors
10. Paint the foundation

Compare this list to the one from
Real Simple. Both lists agree in investing in painting, kitchens, bathrooms, decks, and home systems. Domino says to get new doors, while Real Simple says to replace the windows. Domino says to reroof, while Real Simple suggests fixing up the basement.
Which list do you like better?
Are both helpful in preparing a home for sale?

courtesy: benben esty

6 comments:

mb said...

Domino's list is better.
mb

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

I liked Domino's list better. That house would have more curb appeal AND lasting value.

Anonymous said...

Replacing siding, if need be, I think is a big one too, makes for curb appeal as well.

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Oy...Think I have some work to start......

The House That A-M Built said...

Ooh I am a window girl so I would have to go with Real Simple. At this stage I would even just love a frame to work with... still at foundation stage....delayed gratification never felt so sweet! A-M xx

Things That Inspire said...

I am thinking about putting my house on the market within the next 18 months, and I have done some of these things. Many of them are quite expensive to do, though - like replacing floors, gutting bathrooms, replacing appliances. Domino's list is good, though.